How to Get Insurance Outside Open Enrollment

Back 5 of 5

If you want private health insurance outside of open enrollment, you have a few options:

  • Buy a short-term health insurance plan.
  • Pay for COBRA health insurance if you have recently lost job-based coverage.
  • Buy a plan through the health insurance marketplace if you have a qualifying life event.

Usually, the only way you can get private health insurance outside of open enrollment is if you qualify for a special enrollment period. Some common situations that would qualify you for special enrollment are:

  • Losing your health insurance coverage.
  • Getting married.
  • Having a new child.
  • Going through a divorce.
  • Moving to a new county or ZIP code.

If you do not qualify for ACA special enrollment, then you may qualify for a government program like Medicaid or Medicare.

Back 5 of 5

By Admin